From March 26th, 09:
In the interest of saving paper, I have decided to post the program for tonight’s show on the web in a format compatible (hopefully!) with most Cell Phones. If you’re reading this, then it’s working! Please Share this with you neighbors who might not have web access on their handsets.
Here is tonight’s program:
1) SOVA Eyal Sella Assaf Glizner, Piano Spencer Murphy, Bass Nadav Snir-Zelniker, percussion Alex Mackinnon, Drums
2) SPRING IS HERE Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart Neil Alexander, synthesizers
3) RADIANT BEING Cary Brown Cary Brown, Piano Matt Garrison, Saxophone Spencer Murphy, Bass Dave Lewitt, Drums
4) SOLO IN 3 MOVEMENTS Dave Lewitt Dave Lewitt, Drumset
5) SHENANDOAH Traditional Neil Alexander & NAIL Neil Alexander, synthesizers/samples Nadav Snir-Zelniker, drums Spencer Murphy, Bass Dave Lewitt, Jeremy Kipp, hand drums Includes a vocal Sample of Pete Seeger DANCERS:
6) TIME ALONE Matt Garrison Cary Brown, Piano Matt Garrison, Saxophone
7) WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU George Harrison arranged by Neil Alexander & Dave Lewitt Dave Lewitt, Jermey Kip – hand drums Dave’s Students – hand drums With: Neil Alexander, Synthesizer Spencer Murphy, Bass Cary Brown, Piano
About The Performers:
Cary Brown took advantage of the many opportunities to learn jazz at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY while he was earning his classical piano performance degree there, as well as studying arranging and film scoring. He has toured the world with The Skatalites, The New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble, and The Sloan Wainwright Band. He is currently the Musicians’ Coordinator for the Purchase College Conservatory of Dance and the Musical Director of the Steffi Nossen School of Dance in White Plains. His new jazz piano trio release, The Cary Brown Trio is for sale on CD Baby.com and iTunes, and he is always thrilled to play for such wonderful dancers here at Purchase. ————— Assaf Glizner was born in Israel in 1984 and began studying piano at age 4. After leaving the army, Assaf left Israel to study Jazz at Purchase College, NY and is now finishing his second year. Assaf have been working in the dance conservatory as an accompanist for 2 years now. ———– Dave Lewitt has been playing classes here longer than anyone can remember. (Just when did you start working here, Dave?) He did graduate from SUNY Purchase in 1983 (?) (Details hazy). His sound has been described as “the drum department at your local music store being pushed down a flight of stairs”. In addition to playing classes, he teaches hand drumming, and has about 10,000 private students. He is also an avid (livid?) cyclist. ———– Primarily self-taught, Neil Alexander was performing, composing and arranging by age 14. In 2007 he released “Tugging At The Infinite”, his 4th CD as bandleader with “NAIL”. He works as both a player and programmer, and has composed more than 100 works for small ensembles. He has received grants from Meet The Composer and the NYS Council for the Arts; performed 20th Century works by Stravinsky, Cage, and others; taught Master Classes at high school and college level in modern music technologies; produced concerts in both small venues and large outdoor settings; and done sound design and music concrete (including assembling sound effect libraries and live tape manipulation). He has composed for independent films and/or been musical director for Modern Dance and Alternative Theater companies, and spent ten years touring with the notoriously successful Pink Floyd Tribute “The Machine”. In addition he occasionally performs solo. He and his wife Nita Rae own a private recording company, “Pdog Records” in upstate NY. http://www.nailmusic.com.